University of Zagreb
Faculty of Agriculture
Department of Dairy Science
The Reference laboratory
for milk and dairy products
10000 Zagreb, HR
T. +385 (0)1 239 3942
F. +385 (0)1 239 3988
The Reference laboratory for milk and dairy products
The Reference laboratory for milk and dairy products (RL) was established in 2001 as the results of work on the mutual project of the Dairy Department of the Faculty of Agronomy at the University in Zagreb and the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. The Project defined sources of financing and purchase of the equipment necessary for the work of the Reference laboratory. The adoption of the “Ordinance on the quality of fresh raw milk” (Official Gazette, 102/2000) the need for establishing and work of the Reference Laboratory was emphasized, similar to the EU countries. Its role started together with the establishment of the Central Laboratory for Milk Control (CLMC) in Križevci, as the essential part of the integral system.
From 2003-2007, RL was certified for “Quality management system”, according to the international standard HRN EN ISO 9001. The evaluation of the whole system was performed by the independent certifying house Det Norske Veritas (DNV).
The aims and tasks of the Reference laboratory for milk and dairy products,pursuant to provisions of the Ordinance (Official Gazette 102/2000) and the Decision of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery and Rural Development (2007 and 2011) are:
- performing analysis of milk and dairy products by reference methods according to which the CLMC and other milk laboratories in the Republic of Croatia calibrate laboratory instruments, but also checking the precision of its work in the same way as it is done by laboratories in other European countries,
- delivery of calibration samples of cow, goat and sheep milk for the calibration of analytical instruments in the CLMC and other laboratories, so the control system of the raw milk quality in the Republic of Croatia is completely independent and integral,
- continuous supplementation of the conversion line for the instrument (Bactoscan FC), which determines the total number of microorganisms in the raw cow, goat and sheep milk, which represents one of the most complete conversion lines in the EU countries,
- organizing interlaboratory comparison testings for the CLMC and other milkman laboratories in the Republic of Croatia which ensures the following of calibration results to reference method results. Only in the last year (2010-2011) the RL participated in 41 interlaboratory comparison testings and at the same time organised 31 interlaboratory comparison testings for the needs of the CLMC and other milkmen in the Republic of Croatia,
- introducing new analytical methods (testing procedures), so today the Reference laboratory for milk and dairy products is accredited for 42 analytical chemical, physical and microbiological methods according to the standard HRN EN ISO/IEC 17025,
- organising courses for employees of the CLMC and other dairy laboratories.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management authorised the RL for issuing international certificates for performing physical, chemical and microbiological analyses of milk and dairy products (Decision of 19 December 2007).
Also, pursuant to the “Law on food” (Official Gazette number 46/07, 55/11) and the “Ordinance on authorising official and reference laboratories for food and animal food” (Official Gazette number 86/10, 7/11), the Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery and Rural Development authorised the Reference laboratory for milk and dairy products as an official and reference laboratory for food. (Decision of 28 February 2011., www.mps.hr/default.aspx?id=7604).
Reference Laboratory for milk and dairy products is accredited by the Croatian Accreditation Agency in the area described in the Certificate of accreditation (certification number: 1081) while the description of the scope of accreditation (the list of accredited methods) is available at http://www.akreditacija.hr/registar. Accreditation helpt that RL gets even closer to the aim, that is achieving high quality in all phases of the business system and to satisfy the demands of customers.
RL currently performes 42 accredited and 22 non-accredited methods of milk and dairy products analysis. List of the methods with years of norm issues is available in the menu under "List of accredited methods".
pdf 2,9 mb